Sunday, January 6, 2008

Dear Guns, I love you.

Despite my ardent love of all things gunny, I haven't done a gun post in awhile. This time around, I think I will list the top 5 guns that I don't have as yet, but really would like to have.

1. Mauser "Broomhandle" pistol. The Mauser pistol was pretty much the first widely accepted semi-automatic introduced, and I still think it is one of the coolest. By today's standards, it has a whole lot of downside but I still really want one because they are just so darned interesting. Also, the Broomhandle was the gun used to mock up Han Solo's blaster, which is rad.

2. M1 Garand. I like the Garand, and I think they are really cool, but my main interest in owning one is simply to get one step closer to completing my post-1885 pre-1965 battle rifle collection. It started out as just a WWII collection, but there are just too many interesting rifles (and, as you will see, handguns) in that general time-frame to ignore. Really, I should just call it a military firearms collection and be done with it.

3. Ruger SR9. I would like to own a 9mm polymer pistol with a light rail, and while the SR9 is an exceedingly new gun, I think that this is the one I want. It's either an SR9 or a Glock 19, and since I am a die-hard Ruger fan, I am going with the SR9.

4. Smith and Wesson OR Colt .45ACP revolver. Both were called M1917 revolvers, and both were adopted by the military because there was a shortage of Browning M1911 during WWI. Really, it's not that these are such great revolvers (although I hasten to add that both are very good revolvers), it again just boils down to a good gun to have for the military collection.

5. Kel-Tec PLR-16. This is a semi-automatic pistol that fired .223. Frankly, I think it just sounds like an incredibly fun gun to shoot! Not particularly practical, but it seems like it would be fun to scope it and then shoot it over a rest at longer than normal pistol ranges. Plus, the .223 just seems like it would make for a very enjoyable pistol caliber. The problem is that .223 ammo has gotten very expensive, and I already have three .223 rifles that I am trying to feed, so I am not sure that it makes sense to add another gun in that caliber.


Not in my top 5, but definitely guns that I am very interested in: Krag-Jorgenson carbine, Nagant Pistol, Finnish Mosin-Nagant rifle, a Tac-Sol upper for my MkII, a Ruger Single-Six, and an older Ruger security-six.

So, there you have it. My gunny wish-list.

No comments: