Friday, May 2, 2008

I love super-heroes.


I went to go see Iron Man today with my buddy Mike, and it was awesome. I have been pretty excited to see this movie since I first heard about it, and it was well worth the wait. Possibly it is the best of the superhero movies, though the first X-Men was pretty rad and I was so excited for Spiderman that I almost had a heart attack.

I am not afraid to admit that at my age I love superhero movies. I was and am a big comic book nerd, and the technology exists to bring my heroes to life on the big screen in a believable way, which is rad beyond belief. That being said, maybe I need to turn down the nerdliness a couple of notches, as I think I managed to scare our waitress today by proclaiming "I just saw Iron Man and it was awesome!!" in response to her question "Just the two of you?". I also got extraordinarily excited and stood up and cheered when Samuel Jackson as Col. Nick Fury, agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. came onscreen at the end of the credits and mentioned the Avengers. I am not joking when I say that, either. I literally stood up, threw my arms in the air and cheered. Mike promptly left to go to the bathroom.

On a wholly unrelated note, I stopped at my moms house and was whipping my "Bear Pride" towel in order to display my pride in the Bears, and the wind caught it and I ended up towel-whipping myself right in the eye. Philosophically, on the drive home I began to ponder the old saying "Pride goes before the fall" and how whipping myself in the eye with a Bear Pride towel was highly metaphorical. The more I thought about it, the more that my towel incident spoke to a deeper truth: I am a moron. I mean, I whipped myself in the friggin' eye! Stupid philosophy and stupid metaphors have once again proven to be my greatest foes.

2 comments:

J.R.Shirley said...

Cool! Jordy and I are looking forward to it. I mean, hey- Robert Downey, Jr. and explosions. What could be better?

katdish said...

You are totally hilarious. I'm putting a link to your site on my blog immediately. (And, yeah, the whole standing up in theatre at the end must have been pretty embarrassing for your friend, and everyone else.)