Sunday, June 22, 2008

Shocking...

I am not a huge fan of drag racing, but I know enough about it to know that it can be a dangerous game. Scott Kalitta, who I will honestly say I know virtually nothing about, died on the 21st when his engine exploded, meaning that he couldn't hit the brakes, meaning that his car hit the back retaining wall, meaning that his car basically vaporized. Really, it's a pretty horrible crash. I debated putting this up for two reasons: First, like I say, I don't know the first thing about Scott Kalitta and it would be disingenuous for me to pretend otherwise. Second, I am certainly not trying to glamorize a car crash that killed someone, nor am I trying to be funny about it. I mean, by and large this is meant to be a humor blog, and there isn't much humor to be found in watching a video of some guy die.

I decided to post it simply because I have been thinking about my own mortality lately, and the video honestly freaks me out a little bit. I mean, in the span of about 4 seconds, this guy went from being a healthy, successful driver doing something he has done thousands of times to being dead. There was no premonition, no slow descent into the light, no chance to rage against the dying of the light, nothing. Obviously he knew that driving a Funny Car wasn't the safest occupation in the world, but still it just freaks me out when I consider that Scott Kalitta's life went from 100% to 0% in less time than it took me to write this sentence.

No comments: