Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Classroom Prank

This little video, taken from Neatorama, is an example of a classroom interruption that sparkles with class and zazz.

This is much different than my college classroom interruptions, many of which Randy The Funkee Homosapien was witness too. Notably, I am reminded of my behavior during a little activity that we took part in during our History Methods class.

The instructor set us up so that we were competing countries on the brink of war, gave us some information, and then set us up in different rounds of negotiation. I quickly established an alliance with a neighboring country, and then threatened genocide on the remaining countries, barred diplomatic access (and contemplated taking one of them hostage), and gave a presidential address to the assembled class in which I threatened to "drive our enemies before us while listening to the lamentations of your women". The excercise was supposed to mimic the beginnings of WWI, and I think that the hope was that we would be able to make peace. I on the other hand would have launched a preemptive thermonuclear strike if I could have.

Luckily, I think Randy was a part of my oligarchy and thus was spared the life of a plebian.

Epic Fail, Educational System.

6 comments:

katdish said...

A) In retrospect, I should have been able to pick out the actors because they were the only ones wearing those lame sweaters, with the exception of the girl, who was wearing a sundress -- obviously someone didn't get the wardrobe memo.

B) Would you be so kind as to let me know if you ever plan to run for political office? I want to have plenty of time to stockpile some food and ammunition before marshal law is declared. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I missed that particular methods class and have cried in my sleep many a nights since about it... However, my senior year in highschool my history teacher put on a very similar lesson. As luck would have it, I was the leader of England (the largest and most powerful navy in the world at the time) and my good buddy was put in charge of Germany (the largest and most powerful army of the time). We teamed up and took over the world. Alas, proving that history doesn't always repeat itself... Good times. Damn I wish I would have been there that day!

Anonymous said...

You're threats are nothing to us! And Penland will squash your puny country with an army of zombies.

Zombies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SzJdliUxMg

The Mandarin

Anonymous said...

Well now that you are back "blogging" or what ever it is you call the bile that emanates from your key board, I too shall return to offer critiques and criticisms. What a long boring story. It is just one of those things that Im sure if you were there it was humorous but not that funny when you try to tell it to others. Then you follow that with a video ripped from... oh you guessed it...Neotorama. Why dont you just make your page full of Neatorama links and save your self a lot of time and what little effort you put into this.

J.R.Shirley said...

Damn, dude. I just couldn't sit through all of that. I kept waiting for a 168-grain MHP to hit that guy amidships and give a satisfactory ending.

Timbo said...

Ha! "Amidships"....