Saturday, April 19, 2008

Nature is a cruel mistress.


Really, what can I say about this picture? Deer + Lion = dead deer. It's somewhat more disconcerting to imagine the deer replaced by a hiker, and more disconcerting still to realize that people get nabbed by mountain lions on a fairly regular basis. As a gunny, I spend a lot of time thinking about how to neutralize threats of this nature via the awesome power of ballistics, and pictures like this make me realize that there are times that a gun can be both comforting and useless all at once.


Anyway, enjoy the pic and try not to get eaten.
Edit to add: By the way, this was taken by a remote camera that was set up to monitor this particular trail to see if deer even used it. That the lion was captured on camera was wholly unexpected. I got the impression that the hunter that set this camera up was unaware that there were even lions in the area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great glimpse of nature in action. I can just imagine the look on the guy's face when he developed this picture.

On another note, I couldn't help hear the song "Circle of Life" in my head as I was looking at this picture...

J.R.Shirley said...

Great pic. Thanks!