Sunday, August 3, 2008

Glocktastic!


Theoretically, this blog is supposed to be about three things: Guns, Gear, and my particular brand of stupid humor. Every once in awhile I will mention some piece of gear that I find cool, but mostly it's been all about the stupid humor. Well, today I want to talk about Glocks, and how I plan on buying one as soon as possible.

If you're not into guns, you are likely unaware of the massive amount of discussion that goes on about Glocks. It basically boils down to a "Sucks/Rocks" argument. For some time, I was decidedly on the "Sucks" side of things, and for a couple of reasons. First, I always thought they were top heavy, and second I bought into the argument that the Glock grip angle was dumb and useless.

Times change, and so do I. I have come to realize that the top heavy thing was kind of a dumb reason on my part, and I no longer buy into the grip angle argument. That stopped the day that I realized that I could shoot my MkII and my 1911 with no apparent difference or discomfort. Once I realized that, I revisited shooting my friends Glock and I shot it like a champ. The third reason that I have decided that I want a Glock is that I want a pistol with a light rail. Having a pistol with an on-board light for target identification seems like a great idea to me, and I have yet to find a compelling argument against them.

So, with that in mind, I looked at several different models of pistols. I specifically want a 9mm, so my choices basically ended up boiling down to three pistols: The Glock 17, The Smith and Wesson M&P and the new Ruger SR9. I am a big fan of Ruger, but the recent recalls on the SR9 have made me leery of buying one for a little while. The M&P was surprisingly nice, but when it came down to it, I just like the Glock the best, mostly because it is dead simple to operate. I also looked at the Heckler and Koch USP, because I have always wanted to own an HK pistol (much like my friend Brad), but the difference in price (about $400.00) pretty much killed that idea.

So there you have it. At some point in the hopefully near future, I will be the proud owner of a Glock.

4 comments:

Toby said...

For what it's worth, the police department where I used to work just switched to Glocks and as far as I can tell, they all are very happy with them...

Anonymous said...

Well, the Glock 17 in particular is the most popular law enforcement sidearm in the world, at least according to the Glock website.

Anonymous said...

Don't cheap out and fire lead boolets in it. Polygonal bores have no love for the alchemists fodder.

Plus, Glocks are slippery for no good reason, they have fingermolds that don't fit anyone, and you've got to pull the trigger to field strip them.

To say nothing about the rather obvious mall ninja thing...

J.R.Shirley said...

At one point, I had four Glocks.

Now I have none. The 21 was too fat for me, the 27 wasn't really much smaller than the 23, and the 24 I only used at the range or while hunting.

I sold the 23, my favorite all-around handgun, when I was going into the Army the first time. I figured since it was a Glock, I could always buy another. I'd love to get a 19, especially if I could get one without the finger molds.