Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Comic Books: Rad or Sad?

So, I really like comic books. Honestly, I probably like them too much considering that I have often (as recently as all the time) contemplated what the ultimate set of superpowers for me would be. In fact, they say the average dude thinks about getting they swerve on something like every 10 seconds. I think about getting freakadelic about every 15 seconds, but I consider the relative merits of flight over underwater breathing every 6 seconds. Clearly, I have issues.

Now, with all that being said, one line that I won't cross is cosplay. Cosplay, if you aren't nerdily aware is defined by Wikipedia thusly: "Cosplay, short for "costume play",[1] is a type of performance art whose participants outfit themselves, with often-elaborate costumes and accessories, as a specific character". That sounds like a sure recipe for lonely nights spent in your moms basement playing D&D and wondering which one of your friends is going to see boobies before they turn 40, right?

Not so, friends. As it turns out, there are plenty of hot chicks that dress up in comic book clothes and go out in public. I suppose the jury is still out on whether or not they actually associate with dudes whose only apparent power is to avoid sunlight and cultivate acne, but it kind of makes sense there would have to be at least a little common ground, right? Well, whatever the case is, I say godspeed, Cosplaya. You couldn't get me out of the house in costume for love or money, but if that's what rings your bell, I say more power to you. Don't believe me? Take a look for yourself. I have kindly posted some pics for your research purposes:


Quick note: There are roughly 15 trillion pictures of chicks dressed up as Princess Leia. Also, the first chick is dressed as Jean Grey when she was first possessed by The Phoenix. Duh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I'd known that there were women like that at comic book conventions I would've started going a long time ago...

katdish said...

Are these women dressing like this because they want to, or are they dressing this way as part of a paying modeling gig?

Can we just agree that the only place where women dress in slutty costumes voluntarily is at Halloween and the The Renaissance Festival?

J.R.Shirley said...

God bless possession. I want some, just looking at that first pic...

Timbo said...

Kat, comicons aren't but maybe a step or two removed from the average renaissance faire. Some of the swords that people haul around aren't out of place at either...