Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I endorse Mike Huckabee for President.

That's right, I said it: I am endorsing Mike Huckabee for president. I have a feeling that Giuliani is going to be the nominee, but of the major candidates right now, I think he is by far the best, and certainly the candidate I am voting for.

It may come as a surprise to some that I am not throwing my early support behind Ron Paul, but there are some reasons for that. While I agree with a great deal of what Ron Paul has to say, I just don't think he would get any congress, current or future, to go along with his ideas. It's not that he won't win: I have always felt that you should support the candidate that you believe in, not the candidate that stands the best chance of winning, and this is particularly true in the primaries. Certainly, I will be voting Republican regardless when the general election comes around, but the primaries are a great way to vote your conscience, which I think is good. With all that being said, it really just comes down to me thinking Mike Huckabee is the best candidate.

I am endorsing Mike Huckabee because I basically agree with his major platform points, and those that I disagree with just aren't high up on my list of things to worry about. His stance on abortion, for example, is somewhat different than mine, but I have yet to ever vote on a candidate because of his or her views on abortion. As a human, I have my own opinions on the issue, but as a single guy who neither has nor desires kids, it's just not a hot button issue for me. I strongly agree with his second amendment stance (which, as everyone knows, is pretty much issue #1 for me), I agree with his stance on health care (current system is broken, universal health care is not the answer), I agree with his stance on Iraq, and I agree with a few other things he has to say.

Aside from his political platform, I just like the guy. He has a sense of humor, he has a certain amount of down-home charm, he plays bass guitar, and I like that he had the discipline and strength of will to drop over a 100 pounds. Of course, none of this matters politically. His political resume is strong, and he was a very good governor in Arkansas, a point that was recognized by TIME magazine when they named him one of the 5 best governors in 2005.

Anyway, no one really cares who I am going to vote for, but if the Rocky Mountain News can endorse someone, then so can I. If you want to learn more about Mike Huckabee, click the "Huckabee for President" banner I have up to visit his website.


Huckabee in 08!

3 comments:

Toby said...

Huckabee? I mean, Huckabee?! Say it ain't so, Tim!

Really...?

Huckabee?

Would love to sit down over a beer and hash this one out...

Gotta love the American political system. Or something.

Anonymous said...

Toby, it's Huckabee for me. That rhymed really, really well by the way.

it's worth noting that Huck took Iowa, by the way.

Toby said...

I'll respectfully disagree about that being worth noting. All the caucuses show is that less than 1% of eligible voters in the USA think Huckabee is our man. That doesn't impress me much. It's like getting the first out in the top of the first inning. Still a long way to go.

Like I said... Gotta love that political system.